Saturday, April 19, 2014

Putting it into Perspective

Today I was able to begin reading a book by a mother of a young man who has done amazing things with his limb difference. It has been impossible to put down because I feel like I could very well be reading my own future story. One of the things that stood out to me was a passage from John 9 that refers to a time when the disciples encountered a man who was blind from birth. When they asked who sinned to make him blind..."Jesus answered, 'Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God's works might be revealed in him."' I have read this passage so many times in my 30 plus years, but it stood out to me today. For 8 years I have struggled to understand what I had done and if I had some sin in my life that would account for my daughter. Our world doesn't understand and so they seek to explain. Instead, I believe I will live in a world that sees my daughter as a vessel for God to work miracles. I know she has done it in my life and I am so thankful this Easter weekend for this scripture. It doesn't typically connect with the Easter weekend, but it was what I needed today. Thank you Katie Kolberg Memmel for your story and thank you for putting into words this mother's fears and triumphs.

No comments: